Justin Gatlin's pursuit of Olympic gold in Beijing is really over now. His fight against the powers that banned him from the games — well, that will be more like a marathon than a sprint.
The defending Olympic 100-meter champion lost his appeal Thursday to run in the U.S. Olympic track trials and said he will not take the case to the Supreme Court, meaning there are no more back doors or last-second maneuvers that could land him in China in six weeks.
But he will continue to seek monetary and other damages from the U.S. Olympic Committee, the U.S. Anti-Doping Agency and other defendants, saying they discriminated against him because his first doping violation, in 2001, was for taking prescribed medication to treat attention deficit disorder.
Because that penalty was on the books, his second violation in 2006 triggered the suspension that has barred him from Beijing.
Earlier this month, the Court of Arbitration for Sport upheld that ban.
In the lawsuit, Gatlin said banning him from Olympic trials violated his rights under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Gatlin claims he has never intentionally doped.