State prosecutors have urged Spain's National Court to investigate four alleged former Nazi concentration camp guards and decide whether to seek their extradition from the United States over the deaths of Spanish citizens in the camps, news reports said Monday.
The Europa Press news agency said the prosecutors office at the court announced it was backing a case petition brought last month by Brussels-based rights organization Equipo Nizkor on behalf of victims' relatives.
The suspects are John Demjanjuk — an 88-year-old retired auto worker in Ohio — Anton Tittjung, Josias Kumpf and Johann Leprich.
Equipo Nizkor has said the U.S. has been trying for years to deport all four for lying about their Nazi pasts on their immigration papers, but that no country had been willing to take them.
The prosecutors' petition is a nonbinding recommendation. The court's judges will now decide whether to accept the case for study and consider filing charges. A decision could take months.